Georgia Sales Tax Holiday Starts July 30
Georgians awaiting a sales tax holiday for savings on school supplies, computers or software or even clothing, can begin to set their clocks, as the next holiday begins at 12:01 a.m. on July 30. It will conclude at midnight on July 31, 2016.
The July sales tax holiday provides exemption from sales tax on the following items:
- Clothing and footwear with a sales price of $100.00 or less per item
- Computers, computer components, and prewritten computer software purchased for noncommercial home or personal use with a sales price of $1,000.00 or less per item
- School supplies, school art supplies, school computer supplies, and school instructional materials purchased for noncommercial use with a sales price of $20.00 or less per item.
The exemption does not apply to:
- Cell phones
- Belt buckles sold separately; costume masks sold separately; patches and emblems sold separately; sewing equipment and supplies, including but not limited to knitting needles, patterns, pins, scissors, sewing machines, sewing needles, tape measures, and thimbles;
- Sewing materials that become part of clothing, including but not limited to buttons, fabric, lace, thread, yarn, and zippers;
- Clothing accessories or equipment;
The September/October sales tax holiday, which runs from September 30 until midnight on October 2, exempts the following items from sales tax. They must be purchased for noncommercial home or personal use.
- Energy Star Qualified Products with a sales price of $1,500.00 or less per item;
- WaterSense Products with a sales price of $1,500.00 or less per item.
The October exemption does not apply to Energy Star Qualified Products or WaterSense Products purchased for trade, business, or resale. To view the full lists of exempt and taxable items, click here.